Think of mosquitoes. Yes, you can be small and still have a BIG impact…!
If you can read that post, you are able to make the world a better place. I agree, maybe not on a huge scale. I am not talking about ending violence, poverty or animal cruelty. And this is not a post to give lessons: I am far from being perfect with my habits. It’s an article to highlight that small efforts in our lives – and communicating about them to inspire others – can help.
Right now, that’s me being small and hopefully having an impact.
There are many decisions you can make in your life for sustainability, including equity and preserving the environment, just to name a few.
My little everyday actions:
– I try to reduce my plastic consumption. I refuse plastic bags and straws, and I have reusable water bottles.
– I try to save paper. At work, I changed my printer set up to multipage and double-sided printing. Following my request, we now have a printing tray with scrap paper. At home, I recycle paper by always using the back of envelopes or other papers I receive.
– I recycle my rubbish. It’s not that hard to separate plastic and cardboard from the rest of the waste.
My little actions as a tourist:
– I participate in the local economy. I try to pick local hotels and local restaurants that will benefit the local community. Big chains and all-inclusive holidays may be easier to organise, but most of them will not support the locals that much. I always try to think about the ethical way to visit a place.
– I collect rubbish – even when they are not mine. I don’t do that all the time; it would be too much of a sacrifice. But when I see a bottle, a can or some other rubbish in a place I’m visiting, I pick it up. It takes me few seconds only. It’s a better way and a better feeling than just whinging about it. Tourism has an adverse impact on the environment, and this is my way of minimising my impact.
I want to emphasise this last point. I have just upgraded the Rubbish section on the website. I’d love your help to make it grow.
It is open to all travellers and nature lovers; we can create a cleaner world! I’ll be happy to hear from you and, if you wish, feature your story on the blog! If you’re a blogger or an online business, I will happily include a link to your website.